2015/16 AWARDS BREAK ALL RECORDS AS SOME CATEGORIES REMAIN OPEN
See Video of Feb 2015 Event here
Entries to this year’s Tourism Awards across the South West have hit new records, with 460 entries already received, including 70 into the Dorset Tourism Awards, 164 into the Devon awards, 167 into the Cornwall Tourism Awards and 59 from the rest of the region. Judging has now started, through our team of 40 independent scorers and mystery visitors.
Numbers are expected to grow further, as three categories remain open until 28th August.
- The ‘Outstanding Contribution to Tourism’ award doesn’t come with any fixed criteria, and is intended to recognise individuals, organisations or groups that have contributed significantly to the region’s tourism industry. Recent regional winners are Michael Eavis (founder of the Glastonbury Festival), Carol Wager (an outstanding trainer with Welcome to Excellence), the South West Coast Path, and Malcolm Bell (former Chief Executive of South West Tourism and current Head of Visit Cornwall). To submit a nomination simply email us with who you are nominating and why, and our independent panel will explore further. Self nominations are not acceptable for this award.
- The ‘Unsung Hero Award for Customer Service’ is for an individual or small team within a tourism business that has stood out for ‘going the extra mile’ in delivering outstanding customer service.
- The ‘Tourism Event & Festival of the Year’ award is for events & festivals that contribute to the tourism sector by attracting 5000 or more visitors.
Awards spokesperson Robin Barker is delighted to see the success of the awards: “The Awards have hit new heights this year, breaking previous records again following the region’s success in May’s national awards, when we were England’s top region. It is especially good to see businesses showing year-on-year improvements and numerous first time entrants.
“In parallel, we look forward to further entries in those categories that will be judged later in the year, including the ‘Tourism Event’, ‘Unsung Hero’ and ‘Outstanding Contribution’ categories.
“I must also thank our many sponsors who fund the year-round programme, including headline sponsors South West Water, Hoseasons and Saffery Champness. They and other sponsors will be benefiting from record visits to the awards websites, totaling 24,600 page views since the start of April.”
The awards celebrate excellence in tourism across the South West with linked schemes in Cornwall, Devon and Dorset, aiming to promote and reward businesses and individuals in the tourism industry, whatever their sector and size. They are free to enter and all entrants receive feedback.
Cornwall, Devon and Dorset businesses should check the websites for their own their county schemes, whilst entrants from Somerset, Bath, Bristol, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire should stay on this site.
- New cohort of tourism students arrives at Plymouth Posted: 3rd October 2015
- First Great Western Becomes Great Western Railway as Part of Historic Re-brand Posted: 17th September 2015
© 2015 Services For Tourism Ltd. Website and hosting provided by Direct Tourism Services