2014/15 TOURISM AWARDS - DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 29 AUGUST
Following the decision by Destination Bristol to give the Bristol Tourism and Hospitality Awards a rest for 2014, we have agreed to extend the deadline for entry into the South West awards until midnight on Friday 29th August. This extension applies to all entrants from Bristol, Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, as well as entries from Cornwall into the Tourism Event or Business Tourism categories. (This extension does not apply to the Dorset, Cornwall or Devon awards, entry for which is closed for most categories with judging already under way).
There are significant criteria and category changes since last year, meaning that many previously ineligible business can now enter! Please also don’t forget that this year’s South West awards event is planned to be held in Somerset – on the Grand Pier in Weston - hence we are even keener than usual for a strong local entry.
The Awards cover the whole South West, including Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Bath, Bristol and the Isles of Scilly, along with the linked awards programmes in Devon, Dorset & Cornwall.
One development this year is the inclusion on the Awards websites of new case studies from recent finalists, each of them sharing their top tips on why businesses should enter and how to win:
- "It has been particularly useful for our place in our community – the local residents have become great ambassadors for us and do that with the confident knowledge that we are trying our best and are well regarded by impartial judges." Nicky King, The Eastbury Hotel Dorset
- “Winning an award is a team effort with staff motivation reaching levels like never before.” Lucy Wright, Gloucester Tourist Information Centre Gloucestershire
- "The main reason is that it makes you sit down and really think about what you’re doing within the business and, more importantly, makes you think about what you’re not doing and how this can be rectified." Ian Akeroyd, Trethem Mill Touring Park Cornwall
- "Winning an Award leads to other things, more bookings, invitations to take part in other media exercises and a web site logo to set us apart from the competition.” Joy Raymond, Hedgehog Corner B&B Devon
- "This was the first time we have entered the tourism awards and we are so glad we did! Winning the awards provided great PR coverage and are a fantastic accolade for our restaurants." Lucy Lomas, River Cottage
The Cornwall, Dorset, Devon and South West awards are all independent, but linked in that winners from the Dorset, Cornwall and Devon awards are fast-tracked into the South West awards, with South West winners submitted to the national VisitEngland awards. Entry is free, the programmes being funded by a range of sponsors and partners, and all entrants receive feedback.
John Crouch, Marketing Manager of Headline Sponsors Source for Business says: “Source for Business is delighted to be the title sponsors of the South West Tourism excellence Awards once again supporting this vibrant and sustainable sector. Speaking from first-hand experience I can’t speak highly enough of the quality our hotels, campsites and attractions deliver and the efforts they make into making visits special.”
Awards organiser, Robin Barker of Services for Tourism adds: “Of all the jobs I’ve done in tourism, this is the most gratifying. Seeing tourism businesses getting better and better each year, the commitment they make to being excellent, the delight on their faces on awards night, and the team spirit that is gained; these give my team a real sense that we are making a difference.”
The extended deadline for entering the South West awards is midnight on 29th August, but businesses are encouraged to start preparing now and not leave it to the last minute.
Full details of the tourism awards, along with details of how to enter, top tips and entry forms can be found by following the menu options on this site.
- New First Great Western TV advert launched Posted: 9th June 2014
- South West top region again in national VisitEngland awards Posted: 12th May 2014
© 2014 Services For Tourism Ltd. Website and hosting provided by Direct Tourism Services