Record 19 national awards taken by South West finalists
73 Finalists were presented VisitEngland awards, and with 19 of these from the South West there’s a clear message about the quality of The South West visitor experience.
The Visit England awards link with the South West Tourism Excellence Awards which held its regional awards ceremony at Eden Project on 8th February. This followed a rigorous selection process, including judging of over 300 entries from across the South West with many of them winning also in the Cornwall Tourism Awards and Devon Tourism Awards. Since January, the regional entries have been pitted against further entries from across the country, with 14 entries selected as Finalists representing the South West at the VisitEngland awards night in Manchester on Monday 20th May. These are joined by 1 special award winner, 2 winners from the Bristol Hospitality Awards, 1 from the Cotswold awards and 1 from Wiltshire to make the total of 19 from the region.
The top Gold award went to Devon’s Gidleigh Park in the Small Hotel category, whilst Kents Cavern’s Clare Preece took the award for Tourism Superstar, having been a winner in both the Devon and South West awards.
Silver awards went to Cornwall’s Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, Pendragon Country House and Trethem Mill Touring Park, alongside Bath’s Roman Baths and Gloucestershire’s Corinium Museum.
Bronze winners were Devon’s Arundell Arms Hotel and Salty Monk Restaurant with Rooms, together with Somerset’s RNAS Yeovilton Air Day.
Also winners on the night were 9 finalists picking up Highly Commended accolades. From Cornwall there was Bosinver Farm Cottages, The Rashleigh Arms & The Scarlet, from Devon there was Calvert Trust Exmoor & Oakdown Country Holiday Park, joined by Bristol’s Fern Cottage B&B and At-Bristol, Gloucester Tourism Information Centre and Wiltshire’s Ageas Salisbury International Arts Festival.
Chairman of the South West judging panel, Alistair Handyside, said: “Once again the tourism businesses in the South West have excelled at the national VisitEngland Awards. The country’s most popular and diverse region for tourism continues to downplay the talk of doom and gloom, and continues to invest in the visitor experience. This years’ award winners are fabulous examples of what is on offer for visitors to the South West this summer.”
Dave Roberts, from South West headline sponsors Source for Business, said: “Many congratulations to all the South West’s national winners. To take over a quarter of the national accolades is clear proof of the quality and diversity of the South West visitor experience and we’re delighted to see the ongoing focus both on delivering customer delight and on investing in businesses for the long term.
“Source for Business is delighted to be supporting the tourism awards again, with the launch later this week of the 2013/14 awards making it the seventh year that South West Water has been involved. We recognise the critical importance of tourism to the region and both Source for Business and South West Water remain dedicated to partnering the industry in investing for a sustainable future through our specialism in water conservation and management.”
Robin Barker, from awards organisers Services for Tourism, commented: “This is the end of the year-round awards cycle and I offer my hearty congratulations to all the winners, many of whom first entered last spring and have since been winners in county awards and then the South West awards. They are all worthy ambassadors for the region. As one cycle ends another begins, and we look forward to seeing another crop of winners in the 2013/14 awards, which launch later this week.”
See below for list of winners from the South West:
- Claire Preece of Kents Cavern*, English Riviera, Devonwww.kents-cavern.co.uk
ACCESS FOR ALL AWARD
- Calvert Trust Exmoor, Devon www.calvert-trust.org.uk/exmoor HIGHLY COMMENDED
BED & BREAKFAST / GUEST ACCOMMODATION OF THE YEAR
- Pendragon Country House, Cornwallwww.pendragoncountryhouse.com SILVER
- The Salty Monk Restaurant with Rooms, Devon www.saltymonk.co.uk BRONZE
- Fern Cottage Bed and Breakfast, South Gloucestershire
www.ferncottagebedandbreakfast.co.uk (nominee from Bristol Hospitality Awards) HIGHLY COMMENDED
BUSINESS TOURISM AWARD
- Arundell Arms Hotel, Devon www.arundellarms.co.uk BRONZE
CARAVAN HOLIDAY PARK / VILLAGE OF THE YEAR
- Oakdown Country Holiday Park, Devon www.oakdown.co.uk HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Trethem Mill Touring Park, Cornwall www.trethem.com SILVER
LARGE HOTEL OF THE YEAR
- Bedruthan Hotel & Spa, Cornwall www.bedruthan.com SILVER
LARGE VISITOR ATTRACTION OF THE YEAR
- The Roman Baths, Bath www.romanbaths.co.uk SILVER
SELF CATERING HOLIDAY PROVIDER OF THE YEAR
- Bosinver Farm Cottages, Cornwall www.bosinver.co.uk HIGHLY COMMENDED
SMALL HOTEL OF THE YEAR
- Gidleigh Park, Devon www.gidleigh.com GOLD
- The Scarlet, Cornwall www.scarlethotel.co.uk HIGHLY COMMENDED
SMALL VISITOR ATTRACTION OF THE YEAR
- Corinium Museum, Gloucestershirewww.coriniummuseum.cotswold.gov.uk (nominee from Cotswold Tourism Awards) SILVER
SUSTAINABLE TOURISM AWARD
- At-Bristol science centre, Bristol www.at-bristol.org.uk (nominee from Bristol Hospitality Awards) HIGHLY COMMENDED
TOURISM EXPERIENCE OF THE YEAR
- RNAS Yeovilton International Air Day 2012, Somersetwww.royalnavy.mod.uk/Yeovilton-Airday BRONZE
- Ageas Salisbury International Arts Festival, Wiltshirewww.salisburyfestival.co.uk (direct entrant) HIGHLY COMMENDED
TOURISM PUB OF THE YEAR
- Rashleigh Arms, Cornwall www.rashleigharms.co.uk HIGHLY COMMENDED
VISITOR INFORMATION PROVIDER OF THE YEAR
- Gloucester Tourist Information Centre, Gloucestershirewww.thecityofgloucester.co.uk HIGHLY COMMENDED
- Just over two weeks left to enter Posted: 6th August 2018
- SOUTH WEST WATER BUSINESS SHORTLISTED FOR INDUSTRY AWARD Posted: 2nd May 2018
© 2018 Services For Tourism Ltd. Maintained and hosted by Clockwork Marketing